PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suspicion of being under the Influence
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 17:30
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
rmcdonal
Yes, but the duty was a non safety sensitive duty (Paxing) and therefore
doesn't require testing. Had he then had a drink and been subsequently told he was to fly he would have had to reject the duty.
Keg
Once he's had a beer he's not available. Further, if the first duty is a
paxing sector there is no requirement to be 'available' at sign on. Turn up
stonkered I say. That way they can't touch ou operate until the next day.
Interesting. I'm used to the "not available" interpretation coming only while actually airborne on the last deadhead sector into rest, not before it, since most companies reserve the right to change your daily schedule once you are on duty within the time limits of the regs. If you've already reported for duty that day, and legal to still be flown and the crewmemember knows scheduling is within their rights to change you, then drinking while still on duty could be seen as falling under the "attempting to fly" category same as if you show up for duty under the influence. Must be different there.

Anyway, my answer was directed more to the notion that one could never have a drink ever since the company can call you anytime. Surely, the act of answering the phone isn't considered duty is it? I didn't follow the logic of that being CASA's "logic" just because they wanted to test an on-duty pilot who was later scheduled for a deadhead. I don't understand how that equates.

Last edited by PukinDog; 7th Aug 2012 at 17:34.