PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency scenario
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 12:15
EZYA319

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so the comment I made was obviously taken out of context and apologies if I have offended or people have mis-interpreted what I said.
I am fully aware that it takes someone highly skilled and trained to land an aircraft and that there isn't a big green LAND NOW button.
However, lowcostdolly I think you may under estimate the skills of your fellow crew members. I don't think for one moment we would be 'screwed' in this scenario. When I was originally taught (many years ago) how to contact the ground in said emergency by a captain who had flown for many years and has recently retired I asked him the very same question 'would cabin crew be capable of getting the aircraft safely down with instructions from the ground?'. After much discussion he agreed we would, if the person on the ground knows what they're talking about and the crew member playing captain doesn't lose their cool. As FREDA pointed out there are many factors that could make or break the happy outcome to this scenario, but I stick by my point that I would be wary of letting anyone else into the flight deck to deal with this due to the ever present threat of terrorism.