PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a Smaller Airplane
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 06:34
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Pilot-DAR is the world's biggest C150 fan, but he has some valid points.

Airline flying pays better, but treats people incredibly badly and you will spend a great deal of time away from home.

Little aeroplane instruction is fun, gives a stable lifestyle, but pays poorly.

But, look at the genuinely modern aeroplanes out there - in the USA the various LSA products in particular, for nice, inexpensive(ish), supportable aeroplanes that will give far more pleasure than a C152 which is a very dull, elderly, cramped little aeroplane (albeit an excellent trainer).

On the other hand, if you are genuinely getting a sexual thrill out of a 747 take-off, you might want to consider seeking psychiatric help. It's thrilling, but there are limits!

But don't forget that there are many jobs in aviation, and many ways to do a lot of flying that do not require you to be an airline pilot or flying instructor. I've just had a great week flying a 4 seat Grumman around Scotland - it's not my job, but it got me to a lot of meetings very efficiently, and returned me to my family several days faster than any other form of transport would have done.

In the USA there are jobs within FBOs, or opportunities to run FBOs, at any airport that are full time, around aeroplanes, with significant flying opportunities - and you get to sleep in your own bed each night. The money may never be great, but you can get a lot of satisfaction out of that sort of lifestyle.

That said an unwillingness to be away from your original home, or an unwillingness to relocate your family, will limit all and any career you might follow. Fair enough, if your family and location are most important to you, that's a legitimate decision and I'd respect you for it - just accept that there will be losses and compromises elsewhere.

G