PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nomex flight suits
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2012, 12:41
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting conversation this one as I very often jump out of one type wearing a nomex flying suit which I then take off to go flying in another type, I have my reasons however:-

Type 1 is a very cramped tailwheel single seater which is a real handfull on takeoff and landing and will frequently see me doing well in excess of 200mph and pulling a decent amount of +/- G. Inside there are lots of jaggy bits which would easily snag a jumper or damage clothing and I'm sitting with a fuel tank right above my knees. I'm also turning it upside down frequently so I need to make sure all my junk is safely stored, a flight suit with all its pockets is perfect for this.

Type 2 is a nice stable and docile high wing classic which I spend most time flying S&L en route from A to B or in the circuit and probably wont be doing much more than 110mph, its also a doddle to land in most weather and in a forced landing will be going wheels on about 50kts.

Would I go flying in type 2 wearing a nomex suit?, nope, why not? Purely cause I'd get slagged rotten so basically nothing more than peer pressure!

I do think it quite funny however as every day I pass cyclists who look like they are off to the Tour De France and there are many other hobbies people get equally dressed up for. With aviation its the oposite, despite such clothing having a potential safety benefit we are actually encouraged to dress down...

Last edited by Unusual Attitude; 1st Aug 2012 at 12:41.