PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nomex flight suits
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2012, 12:48
pol1whiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nomex flight suits

I am currently debating the advantages of wearing a military style Nomex flight suit for PPL flying.
I have been reading IIAB bulletins recently. Many serious General Aviation accidents that I have read have resulted in fire injury prompting me to consider the advantages of wearing a fire retardant coverall.
I currently SFH a PA28 from an airfield which offers commercial as well as private pilot instruction. It is not uncommon to see students arriving in bobby dazzlers, shirt & tie. Most users of the flying school are smart in appearance, this is considered the norm.
My question to you is this: have the advantages of wearing a military nomex suit been discussed on this forum before? Do you have a dress code of conduct at your commercial training centre? I would be the only flyer at my flying school to wear a coverall and I do not want to draw negative attention to myself by wearing one. However my number one priority at all times must be my attitude towards flight safety and my ability to aviate to safety should a situation occur resulting in fire in the cabin.
My second question is this: Does anyone have any experience of a fire resistant coverall doing its job? If a pilot chooses to wear a suit and doesn’t wear Nomex gloves does this defeat the objective (Severely burnt hands cannot operate controls adequately, same goes for feet). Or is anything better than nothing? Scenario: Engine fire develops in flight, fire in the cabin, would a nomex suit buy more time in getting the forced landing executed or do the benefits of these suits lie in other areas?
I would like to avoid the ‘olright Maverick’ remarks at my flying establishment but at the same time I would like to do all that I can in the interests of my own safety and the safety of my passengers.
Your input would be appreciated.
POL1W