PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 30th Jul 2012, 07:15
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But I thought all the Cirrus pilots were highly trained and far advanced over pilots from 30 years ago?
Pace old chap that is nonsense and you know it, nobody is trying to make that suggestion, there are plenty of poorly or inadequately trained Cirrus Pilots just like any other GA type.

Other than stall spin accidents in a forced landing which are avoidable what are the statistics for serious injury/death in a forced landing?
I am not sure, it is also hard to come up with a statistic as I accept a successful forced landing is not, or I do not think an incident that needs reporting. So is a non event from a reporting point of view.

Forced landings and CAPS for engine failure or fuel exhaustion are fairly rare, most deaths are still CFIT, VFR into IMC and handling on aproach / landing. All Pilot error.

The risk of dying in a Cirrus (and I assume most GA aircraft) due to mechanical failure is small.

I am being serious with this as you may be right but if you are you still need the CAA and Cirrus on board for what is a controversial new way
I am serious, why do I as PIC need to get any one on board, CAA or Cirrus or anyone?

I have made my own mind up of my strategy. Each PIC with the tools available can decide from their training, knowledge and skill what is in their opinion their best chance of survival and when and when not to use the chute.

As you said the only area most of us disagree strongly in is the choice of a forced landing off airport or the use as a general preference of the Chute in this situation.