PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair fender bender
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2012, 21:21
DaveReidUK

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
It will be interesting to find out, as we surely will eventually, what conversations actually took place.
According to the official report:

"The FA seems to have been unaware of the safety implications of the information she was providing. First, she rang only once, instead of the three times that, as stated by the flight crew, are procedurally required if a condition poses a threat to safety. As the captain noted, this predisposed her to not place too much importance on the report. Secondly, the FA began her report with "I'm sorry to bother you, I know I'm not supposed to ...", as she stated, or with "For your information only", according to the captain's statement. In any event, either expression indicates hesitation regarding whether or not she should have interrupted the pilots' activities with this report.

Another indication of the poor communication is the fact that when recounting her conversation with the captain, the FA described the captain's explanation as involving "aviation terminology", which suggests that the FA was not familiar with the language used by the pilot.

The fact that the captain believed only one passenger, and not several, had reported the collision is further proof of this miscommunication and proved critical to her assessment of the situation, as she herself stated."