PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 29th Jul 2012, 09:31
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to pull the handle, when not to?
This really is the big question point for me.

I have blatantly planned and made my mid up when I will use the chute:

1) that in the event of virtually all off airport landings for what ever reason (unless I can guarantee the quality of the surface which is unlikely)

2) In the event I lose control of the aircraft through pilot error, disorientation, mechanical failure.

3) Over Sea requiring a ditching.

4) Find myself out of my depth in conditions I can not assure a safe landing due to WX, ice or anything else I should have totally avoided but for whatever reason failed to.

This is at odds with other's, and I can fully understand why, because I use to think in exactly the same way. In four years of flying with the CAPS and observing outcomes of both successful and unsuccessful off airport landings my attitude has changed to what it is now.

I understand others will cite that as lack of confidence, insufficient training, being a cop out and becoming a passenger for the ride rather than control the aircraft to the ground.

I firmly believe none of those are valid, but my firm opinion as PIC on what I consider the safest and least life threatening option when in an uncontrolled situation, under extreme pressure, into a totally unknown and unexpected landing area.

Sooner or later there will be one or more CAPS pulls that do not turn out well and this will skew the so far 100% success rate quite dramatically, The CAPS is far from risk free, high winds, landing on wires, or a road, all sorts of factors could go wrong, but for me this is still the choice I have made and hope if ever I need to take the decision it will be taken in time to save me and my PAX rather than leave it to late and then the option has gone.

Others have a totally different opinion, in fact I would guess the vast majority of the GA population would not agree with this stance and maybe think it irresponsible , a reasonable proportion of the Cirrus owners would agree but certainly a fair few would not.

It is not a fair to compare this attitude if say a 172 had a BRS would I choose the same strategy, maybe, maybe not, for off airfield landings, A 172 with bigger wheels, lower landing speed is much better equipped to land with a better outcome in random fields.