PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 28th Jul 2012, 19:16
421C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

To be clear, I am not saying handling is out of date! I am saying that a view of pilot training that focuses on handling and maneuvers and does not integrate technology, SRM, decision-making, scenario/LOFT training etc is out of date.

To some extent I am not really arguing with you, but against a certain kind of traditional view of training that emphasises the minutae of handling exercises and ignores the rest, particularly in having a suspcion of "over reliance on technology" whilst teaching zilch about any GA technology developed since the 1960s. I'd characterise much UK training this way.

On the PC12 tragedy, it is hard to say. Certainly, on the margin, in some thunderstorm encounters, I guess real skill in handling might just save the day. There's always a story out there where amazing "right stuff" averted disaster, my favourite is the IAF pilot who landed an F15 with one wing. But the banal point remains that I don't think deficiencies in handling skills are a major issue for GA safety. Perhaps the odd damage to landing gear etc. The PC12 descended >10000' in ~30s. That ain't a spin. Practical training on weather planning, storm detection and avoidance, threat and error management etc I think is going to help more than aeros training in the event you encounter a storm.

brgds
421C

Last edited by 421C; 28th Jul 2012 at 19:17.