PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 28th Jul 2012, 13:02
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the Cirrus recovery it worried me whether at different CoG the chute wires cables could not entangle themselves around the aircraft.
At that Altitude in that aircraft there was NO excuse not to recover other than a lack of training IMO.
First the chute system is designed to recover from any attitude including a spin. With over 30 activations in Cirrus and many more in other aircraft, your entanglement concern is not an issue. There was one issue very early on (see Australian accident) which resulted in an SB. As far as the accident that started this thread, it appears to be a cross country that wasn't quite half way when there was engine trouble at altitude. The pilot talked to ATC (I've listened to the recording) and diverted to Pickens County. When he saw he wouldn't make it he pulled. As for what was reported as a dive, I suspect that was really after the initial chute pull. It is a staged sequence. First the rocket fires which makes a loud sound. People on the ground have reported that this catches your attention. In this accident the guy on the ground heard a loud bang. As the rocket pulls the chute out, the plane points nose down with an unfurled chute behind it. The reefing cutters then fire and release the straps to the nose and the plane becomes horizontal as those rip out from the sides. All this happens quickly.