PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 28th Jul 2012, 10:12
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
007H

Apologies for being a stubborn bugger There was a tragic PC12 crash at altitude which APPEARS to be Stall, spin, spiral dive, overstress!
With aircraft handling you cannot look at one area in isolation anymore than when I used to race cars I had to know about oversteer, understeer, slides, throttle control, Spins etc etc etc. They all added up to handling a car and being comfortable at speed out of shape.

The same goes with flying IMO. While we all hope to never get into an inadvertent situation its when we least expect, when we miss the recovery at incipient that those basic skills can save you.

If you never experience a spin are you going to sit there wondering if your in a spin or spiral dive? Easy to confuse if you have never experienced a spin yet both requiring very different recovery techniques and both requiring prompt identification and rectification!
So in that respect spinning in itself is irrelevant but handling is not.
I have had some old school instructors/examiners in the past who would put you and the aircraft twins included through your paces (twins up at 10=12K)

I would like to see more towards handling pilots rather than plane drivers.
If for no more than all these technological advancements become a real safety addition rather than a cover up for inadequate training.

Looking at the Cirrus recovery it worried me whether at different CoG the chute wires cables could not entangle themselves around the aircraft.
At that Altitude in that aircraft there was NO excuse not to recover other than a lack of training IMO.

Pace