PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 13:54
Ernest Lanc's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroWings

Think about it, he's an eleven year old and it's the start of the school holidays so Terminal 1 is packed out with families and groups. Kids often aren't trusted to keep hold of their own boarding passes and passport, which is entirely sensible. The lad mingles with different families from airside to the plane and they think he's just ahead of/behind his own family, or something like that.
This is IMO and with respect a cop out..An 11 year old is not a kid..Even if a child was not trusted to hold a boarding card, then when the parents hand over the collective passes, there should be a headcount per pass..My daughter has always shown her own documents, and why are kids allowed to mingle before being properly processed?.
As I mentioned before, Manchester Airport no longer has dedicated staff checking boarding passes at the entrance to security, it's done by busy screeners who aren't necessarily in a position to thoroughly check each child in a large group (they might not be able to see them even).
If that is true and I am not doubting your word - Then if busy screeners are not able to do their job and check each child, that in certain circumstances could be dangerous IMO.
Also without the need to wait for the outcome of an enquiry, there should be dedicated staff checking boarding passes at security at an airport the size of MAN.
Jet2's policy was that no headcount was needed, if the aircraft had been boarded via an airbridge directly from the terminal. All UK and Ireland based airlines the cabin crew have to check boarding passes, but headcounts are not compulsory. However, many countries don't have that requirement either.
I can accept that..What I can't accept is a child/person being able to board an aircraft without a boarding card..

I know there are going to be enquiries that will get to the bottom of this matter..But what gets me is the double whammy of a child getting though both airport and airline security.
It's not terrible uncommon for passengers to end up boarding the wrong flight and only noticing when the destination/flight number is mentioned!
It's not the same though - is it?..for that to occur would just mean a boarding card had not been scrutinised as it should have been, at least there would have been a boarding card.
Airport security would not have been at fault, as genuine traveler would have a boarding pass, so would be screened and allowed through.