PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 11:08
Ernest Lanc's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am intrigued as to why having flown through Manchester on at least 10 occasions in the last three months I have not been asked to show my passport at security then Ernest? Generally you show your passport at check in (or not if you have checked in on line) and then at the gate as you board. At security they merely scan your boarding card.
pwalhx.
"At security they merely scan your boarding cards"..

This child did not have a boarding card..He was 11 years old and would have been expected to carry his own. Even if i am wrong over passports at security, That does not explain why he was allowed through with no boarding card..
Originally Posted by edi_local
Anyway, someone said there should have been a discrepancy at the gate. Why would there have been? The boy had no boarding card and wasn't checked in, even if the gate staff counted all the boarding cards and checked them against the system 100 times they would still never pick up that someone extra was on board as there was no trace of the boy on the flight.
The boy would have been asked for a boarding card at the gate..If he did not have one, he would not have been able to access the Airbridge to the aircraft..It's that simple - No card = No flight..

Being the lad was not checked in, he would have no boarding card..In that case again - No access to aircraft.
Originally Posted by edi_local
] Gate staff don't stand and count the passengers as they go through, they just need to match the number of boarding cards against what is shown on the screen and then, if required, match what the cabin crew count on board. 26th Jul 2012 09:10
Exactly: And if the child did not have a boarding card, he could not have given them one to match on the screen - Could he?.
Dear me, some serious Po Faced responses on here...one smugly satisfied 5 hardworking staff are suspended and probably lose their jobs....Dont you ever make a mistake which this was. No one set out to be careless just doing their jobs whilst understaffed and overworked...Try it some time
paully.

This job is not like any other.It's not being po faced to want to travel safe..This child could not have been an innocent child.

Also two levels of security have been breached, not one..Also I am (almost)sure you have to show an open passport at the gate before boarding.

For Example let a surgeon make a mistake while undertaking an operation, then see what happens..Never mind eh - he did not set out to be careless.

Last edited by Ernest Lanc's; 26th Jul 2012 at 12:28.