PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 07:48
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owain...

This is a turbojet we are talking about - there is only the "core", no fan. Fuel is not put into the "afterburner" - at least not in cruise. It goes into combustion chambers aft of the compressor and before the turbine. The 'engine' contribution to thrust is carried on the turbine blades which, contrary to one of your earlier posts, behave very much like a multi-stage propeller.
I wasn't talking about a turbojet, I was asking about the intake system that creates 63% of the thrust at cruise speed.

Regarding the multi-stage propeller bit: I understand that the blades act like a multi-stage propeller but I was saying their purpose is to compress the air and not to directly provide thrust like a propeller.

This image shows the Concorde's engines while in supersonic flight.

http://www.concordesst.com/graphics/engineairflow2.jpg

What is the "inlet air"? Where does that "inlet air" go? In the picture it appears that some air goes along the top, following the first arrow and bypassing the engine intake, through a tiny passage and then gets dumped at the rear of the engine right before the divergent exit. There is also another passage on the bottom of the engine where air bypasses the engine intake and meets at the rear of the engine right before the divergent exit. Does the air that exits out of those two passages contribute to the "inlet thrust"?

Edit: 8% of the thrust is from the engine in cruise - does that mean that the fuel burned is only related to that 8% that is from the engine? NONE of the thrust from the inlet is made by combustion?

Last edited by italia458; 26th Jul 2012 at 07:53.