PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 01:57
Ernest Lanc's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by easyflyer83
Ultimately, a head count would likely have highlighted the problem here. Even then an incorrect headcount could lead to the figure given to the dispatcher but given all that had happened up to the point of getting onboard, that would have been really bad luck.
From my link.

Once on the aircraft, none of the crew realised he did not have a boarding card as he took a seat. A headcount failed to alert them to the discrepancy.
Rome alone: 11-year-old boy flies from Manchester to Italy without ticket | UK news | guardian.co.uk

The boy would not have checked in..Therefore he would have gone straight to security.

Security would have asked him to look at his passport, forget the red herring about him tagging onto a family.

Adults and children alike are asked in an orderly manner to show documents, put any metal/laptops under that scanner...in this case the lad would just have walked under the arch.

Now in the departure lounge - When he goes to gate he is asked for boarding card with passport open at photo..Then he would have gone to the aircraft and on boarding, the cabin crew would have checked the boarding pass, while passport is open at photo page..

So this boy induces a serious mistake by MAN security, quite separate from the Jet2 procedures.

He gets through the gate without showing documents, he then gets on the aircraft with no boarding pass, and passport open at the photo page. He then is not noticed in a headcount.
Ultimately, a head count would likely have highlighted the problem here. Even then an incorrect headcount could lead to the figure given to the dispatcher but given all that had happened up to the point of getting onboard, that would have been really bad luck.
easyflyer83

Read the first quote above, or follow the link..Jet2 headcounts are orderly..mainly as I remember when the passengers are seated and seat belted.

This is all the more serious due to the Olympics..The Americans are here, the British live here..And this episode just might go down in some terrorist training manual.
Even though I do travel from MAN at times, I was typing what happens at BLK to the letter...

I think the same procedures are carried out at MAN, and Liverpool have stringent security.
Blame has to be laid at those responsible at MAN security, and I see Jet2 have suspended 5, and an enquiry is under way...Not much, but better than nothing.
This episode is not bad luck, it's poor security managment - all round.

Last edited by Ernest Lanc's; 26th Jul 2012 at 02:04.