PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 25th Jul 2012, 23:52
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
especially if it is "plastic" in which case you are relying totally on bonding.
Huh??????????

The Cirrus airframe is extremely strong. On the Columbia they cut one of the two wing spars and still passed testing. Partly due to very conservative certification requirement, composite planes are very strong. The only inflight breakup of a Cirrus was in a dive at close to 300 knots when the chute was deployed.

The Cirrus wing is sensitive to ice and I find that the Cirrus will often have frost on it when metal planes won't. I admit that I fear ice more than thunderstorms. I can see and avoid thunderstorms.

Then you buy a 421C, or some other twin, if you want the extra capability and the extra peace of mind, and you pay the extra running cost.
Gee I guess you have so much money that operating cost isn't an issue. In that case just buy a Gulfstream. I can't afford the operating cost of a 421.

FYI, Cirrus offers a FIKI certified plane. Most Cirrus aircraft have the less capable inadvertent ice system. In the US there is XM and Sirius weather to choose from. As long as you understand that the image may be 8 minutes delayed it is good from non-tactical weather decision making.