PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH pilots intoxicated
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2003, 22:37
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Let's have another round and the flight engineer is buying.

To: Pegasus 77

Please stay away from a discussion if you've nothing but rubbish to say.
First of all I was not trying to excuse the flight crew from violating a standing order issued by the certification authorities and their own airline. The point I was trying to make or at least intended to make is this: When a person grows up drinking in an uncontrolled manner he/she may have the feeling that they can handle it on their job. This goes for pilots or any other occupation. Alcoholics are in most cases high functioning individuals when under the influence and many of their associates are totally unaware that the individual is stoned. It is when they are not stoned that their secret is out. That is why I used the illustration about the Coast Guard pilots. I have worked in England, France, Italy and Holland and in most cases in these countries they either consumed large amounts of beer or wine because hard spirits are too expensive. I used the MBB example because I worked there. I also worked at another German company and they had beer machines but most of the people either ate in the cafeteria which did not serve beer or wine or, they went home for lunch so the problem was not so bad.

My statement to you is stop being so defensive.