PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 25th Jul 2012, 19:05
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the wider issue of Cirrus chute pulls, yes the chute saves lives but the seemingly high % of pilots who pull the chute in circumstances that suggest poor or nonexistent preflight planning
Peter, sorry you are completely wrong here.

Sure a few chute pulls the Pilot should never have set off on the journey and made a gross error of judgement, possibly like the only one in the UK, ie the oxford one, either inadeverdent VFR into IMC or intentional, either way Pilot error. He made a bad judgement but fortunately the chute saved his bacon unlike the hundreds that do the same thing in other types and die. I think this type of pull is in fact rare, most just carry on and kill themselves and forget they have even got a chute as an option.

The vast majority of Cirrus pulls are appropriate and are genuine life saving scenarios. I could bore you to death with the details of everyone but will refrain.

I would put 100% of the Cirrus Chute Pulls in the last appx 2 years in that category, that is a grand total of 2, this one and the Bahamas as far as I recall.

The problem with the Cirrus and the Chute is to many Cirrus Pilots die with a perfectly good chute intact in the plane.

In roughly the same time period at least 10+ other fatalaties where you just think why on earth did they not use the damn thing.

Last edited by 007helicopter; 25th Jul 2012 at 19:06.