PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 24th Jul 2012, 19:54
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well documented.

The approach, landing and departure phases I think in that order, you are way way more likely to get killed than the enroute phase.

I would have to go and wade through a power point presentation but its something like only 10% of accidents happen in the cruise segment and of that 90% of them are fatal due to crew error and were recoverable.

High and low power settings are when engines are most likely to fail. Round the pattern is when you most likely to get close to both the ground, other aircraft and have to do some piloting **** all high work load. Not suprising its when most accidents occur.
You might take a look at the graph on page 37 of the document I posted the link to. You do have to read between the lines on it a little but I see the breakout as closer to half if you add up the various categories into two types. In looking at Cirrus accidents for 2010 through mid 2011 I do see a lot of takeoff and landing accidents but a lot of them involve bad weather. My point was that planes that are cross country oriented get put in more challenging situations than ones just taken out for a trip around the pattern or a hop 20 miles away.