PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 24th Jul 2012, 13:07
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends what you are used to 007.

Some of those fields look splended to me, horse paddocks with a hill at the end. Full flap, sideslip it over the fence and stall her on and keep the nose up.

Much better than the scottish loch, peat bog, xmas tree plantation or land rover track that were my options mostly.

10mins from 9k gives you a whole heap of distance and energy to get a good one.

And the other thing is that some pilots are extremely reluctant to shut an engine down. We get this in twins. A CSP produces more drag than a feathered one at low power settings or should I say production which completely screws with your performance and in regards to the twin can kill you because it can increase your minimum control speed to above what your Vyse speed is. The rudder runs out of authority and you have drag and one side and full power on the other and she just rolls. So you either have to take some power off which then leaves you in a worse situation than shutting the duff one down you have more drag and less power.

Instructors arn't gods we have all made multiple suspect decisions, which post event we wouldn't do again.

If there was such a lack of options for a forced landing should they even have been flying over the area?

Last edited by mad_jock; 24th Jul 2012 at 13:19.