PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus Chute Pull, 4 Survive landing in trees, 22/07/12
Old 24th Jul 2012, 11:26
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair the chute does give you a final option and I will fully admit that in some of the crashes, the fact the pilot hasn't given up and used the chute could of stopped the crash being fatal.

To me the whole thing is a very interesting discussion on pilot thought processes. I am not anti the chute by any means.

Its very similar in my view to the teaching of spinning. Alot out there will say its paramount and unacceptable not to teach it and it would save lives.
When in actuality the accidents stats pretty robustly prove that more people are killed teaching it than it saves. Maybe pulling the chute will be statistically the best option. At least it will insure a constant replacement of aircraft so we don;t have 30 year old ****e heaps to put up with

My own personal view on spinning is that its a skill which is acceptable to leave out of primary training but after a broader experence base is gained its advisable to revisit beyond the previous avoidance training. But it should be done by an instructor who is competent to teach it. I did used to spin with students but now will freely admit looking back I wasn't competent to teach spinning.