PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NH-90 Problems?
Thread: NH-90 Problems?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 12:30
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
I maintain the two/three M-60's we had were for "psychological warfare".....for the crew not the enemy! We begged for mini-guns!

I am getting old and senile....but it wouid seem to me....immediate launch/diversion by the nearest available aircraft....then sort out the Risk/Decision to Land at the scene and while in contact with the unit on the ground.

If the key is to shorten the time between the wounding and receiving treatment at the Hospital.....then that would be the way to do it. Taking the time to run down through a Risk Analysis Protocol....then make the Decision to launch....wait for the aircraft to arrive overhead....then for the Crew to do yet another Risk Determination (Determination rather than Assessment as it is done first hand and not second/third/fourth hand)....then land for the pickup....takes valuable time away from the wounded personnel....that might otherwise have made a difference in survival of the most seriously wounded.

There are too many Commanders who are getting too worried about "Force Protection" and losing sight of the real priority it seems. In my days....you called....we went. Army Aviation Creed demanded it of us and I am sure the pilots, crew, and medics of today are no different individually....but the system has morphed to something different than it was in the past.

All we have to do is look back at the words of an Army Dust Off pilot who when told by an Infantry unit Commander to leave a Hot LZ due to the intensity of hostile fire.....replied...."Not without your Wounded!!"

Last edited by SASless; 23rd Jul 2012 at 12:31.