PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do It?
Thread: Why Do It?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 07:29
ftimesf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did I do it...

I asked myself the same question many, many times, and at one point I hated the fact that I foolishly took that trial flying lesson that started it all off.

Professional pilot training (modular based as I did) was an emotional roller coaster as I was in a stressful office based job that took up vast amounts of my time so coming home after a crap day, the last thing I wanted to do was study for my ATPLs etc. Finally getting through the CPL/MEP/IR was far from the last of the pain; in fact I'd say that was the beginning of the pain.

I realised that the market was in such a mess that I would have no chance of getting a job without a type rating. I just wasn't that lucky one in a few who's in the right place at the right time.

I asked for voluntary redundancy so I could fund the type rating. My family said I was a fool for giving up a great job to pay for a type rating knowing that the chances of a job were still very low and my salary would be cut in half! I spent a year getting little bits of flying work, living on the bread line and wondering whether I'd have to fund an LPC renewal..

Bitten by the bug I carried on and got there in the end.

Yes, I earn less than I used to, I fly short busy sectors and experience all the airport trauma that has previously been mentioned but, I work with good captains, have time off, and have a quality of life I never had in my last job - it's not all about money.

Would I have started the process if I knew what I know now?... Maybe not but that's not something I have to go through again...

Would I recommend someone starting from scratch today?.... Not a chance unless they had lots and lots of cash and were prepared for knock back after knock back..