PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Portugal HEMS
Thread: Portugal HEMS
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 15:45
RicardoGarces

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am glad the conversation got back to good ground. Ideas and experiences can be shared without people escalating into discussions.

HueyRacer, can I ask you where did you fly firefighting? Was it here in Portugal?

From what I have heard sometimes they do employ more inexperienced co-pilots in firefighting but the reason is for "language coordination". Many pilots that come here to fly are unable to speak Portuguese and as you know coordination is imperative with the ground firefighting crews.

I am myself an in-experienced pilot and I agree what you say regarding us "young pilots", that's why I like so much my R44 I am not in a hurry to get to larger, faster, better, machines.

From what I know, Portugal Aeronautical Authority ( INAC ) follows JAA by the book. A standard CPL(H) IR (H) is attainable with 185 hours and you get a frozen ATPL ( with 25 hours SIM training ).
Most part of training is conducted either in R22/R44 and Schweizer 300, like anywhere else.

Regarding the Air Force, they do make more hours than the commercial path, because before having the chance to fly helicopters they start with FW.

Being "cocky" is not a military thing... it's a pilot's thing. Even if the pilots are screw ups. ( follow Chuck's adventures from "ChickenWings" ).

Some pilots do have CLP(A/H) IR, FI, and Cocky Rating

Back to the subject PORTUGAL HEMS

I think starting in January 2013 we will witness some power moves at some companies. It is still to early to understand what will be going on but the new contract will be for 5 years, so everyone will certainly be interested. Whoever wins the contract will have to integrate the actual helicopter fleet and airplanes from the state company, so it will not be that easy... Let's wait and see

Cheers!

Last edited by RicardoGarces; 22nd Jul 2012 at 15:47.