PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R112: Are you going?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2012, 08:52
Ellemeet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vfr filing

responding to some of the earlier remarks about vfr flightplanning. I often just file direct. this works absolutely briliant.

for example
guernsey - rotterdam .. direct
rotterdam - pula ... direct..

i will specify an estimated time to the boundaries offcourse.

very often flying vfr i will just literaly fly direct and circumnavigate any obstacle i encounter .. then again .. i fly vfr with a gps and not with a stopwatch and .... (the old way) which is to say that i can imagine that also being a nice experience, i am like to use all modern electronics and tools.. And I fly distances.. not just messing about in a close area.

for example if i fly to pula from rotterdam i know i will have to be slightly north near the belgium border.. and that frankfurt and stuttgart airspace neads to be avoided (at altitude they rarely allow crossings)
and at the alps you will need to climb to fl150-170 which is not a problem for my aircraft.

I am much more interested in the weather.. the top of clouds.. wether the alps are clear and if there are embedded cb's and thunderstorms..

also I am interested in all the traffic surrounding me.. there for I am getting a TAS605. Often I have had an aircraft on the radio very closeby and never saw him. (and they are actually transmitting).. what about those who do not even do that.!

filing vfr flightplans is a minor issue.. only when you get involved with atlas control ...ll