Thread: Korean Air
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2012, 04:38
WallyBallbearing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually.

If you want to go to Korean as an FO and survive do the following:

1. Be yourself (for good and for Bad)

2. Respect the local customs yes, but always respect your own and make sure they (Koreans) do as well. They don't expect you to be like them, so don't. You'll only appear like your easily compromised and then your a B^#*H.

3. Don't listen to Expat Captains advice(no offence you pirates). They have no Idea what being an FO at Korean is like because they've never been. Your sims are just as hard, and you have no FO to turn to for the answers (because your him).

You are respected, if for nothing else than showing up for a job thats going to be pretty hard on you. You need to know everything (the old fellas don't...so).

Korean Captains like to fly with you because you can probably land, very well. You don't crap your pants when something goes wrong and your going to make New York Center, SoCAL Approach and everywhere else glad your there to sort out those pesky miscommunications.

I've had many nice flights chatting about current events, golf, food, whatever.. flying across the Pacific with Korean Captains. Its mostly a relaxed atmosphere but some guys can be pretty formal as well (see #1). There was always more good than bad for sure.

4.Know your enemy. Korean FO's write reports on expat Captains for just about anything and everything. Not so much for Expat FO's (but it does happen). Thus, limit the ammo you give them. Keep your opinions to your self, treat the Korean FO's politely but with the fire gloves on. Always.

These guys have rallied together more than a few times to end some careers. Watch out.

5. Seek out the Senior Korean Captains and let them know who you are. Not to brown nose. But to put a face to a name. If #4 happens to you you'll quickly need some local help or at least a local to say your an OK guy. Expat representation or your agency will do nothing for you.

If you want a commuting gig, there is no better than Korean. The planes work well. Hotels are ok. There is not much social life on the road but sometimes you can meet up in Anchorage (Y) for a few at F street or New York, ect with other expats.

As for the:
"skippers like to fly with foreign f/os as they know that you will learn to be subservient...they get a kick out ofyou all kowtowing all over!" Comment.

Not sure I know any Expat FO's that act like that. In fact, if you did, you wouldn't last, you would be ridden like Sea Biscuit till you quit. That comment has no merit at all. haha. Save the drama for your mama buddy.

I did 3 years at Korean. I survived on the above.

Cheers, Wally