PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2012, 06:11
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess you should never second guess airlines! I understood Lufthansa were using 319s on some rotations in winter, instead they are using CR7s. Perhaps the early indications are that winter bookings are not as strong. However if much of the traffic is business - & specifically oil - I would not have expected any significant fall in users, as these guys are usually regular travellers regardless of time of year as their companies send them worldwide, or they as self-employed consultants etc do likewise.

I agree with those who were disappointed with yesterday's announcement, although it's better than cutbacks of course.

Nevertheless, whilst I accept we will never have the depth & breadth of services of other more populated regions, I do think our strong economy & growth figures should count for something. However as said, many airlines probably think we are too far away to serve, let alone base something for summer or year round. I guess cost of flying to ABZ eg. fuel has a bearing.

In previous years I never got the impression the BAA were working too hard to attract business to ABZ, sitting back & relying on the oil industry. Much revenue generated at ABZ was used elsewhere. I think the BAA in the last couple of years have been more committed I think. Whether that sees more airlines/routes? Only time will tell. I have no doubt they continue to talk, but they have to get over the perception that Aberdeen/Grampian is remote & difficult to get to. Yet airlines & people fly all over the world, so you would think nowhere is as remote & 'out of the way' as once was.