PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PD still allowed?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2012, 05:54
8driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron Skillet-

Home is a Florida city about 30 minutes by air from MIA. I've never had to change a PT to PD home because I always used to PX on the freighter to MIA and pass ride across to my home airport. This is the first month I've had to deal with it without being able to PX to MIA. The date in question is either a late Saturday night or early Sunday morning PT. Company has it set up for early on a Sunday morning (5AUG), but I get to ANC Saturday evening. Fares from Travelocity start at 632 USD for a non-refundable to my home. Company fare to LAX is 307. So 300+ out of pocket if I go non-refundable. From LAX to home is somewhat less but then I've used the company ticket so its still 300 bucks out of pocket. The higher figure I quoted earlier was for a refundable ticket and roster changes are just a fact of life. I either risk it or I don't.

Based on the scheduled roster there should be a hotel room and allowances in ANC. If the flight runs late into ANC and I drop below the six hours+ for a hotel room I will be too fatigued to continue without a rest.

Yes, Virgin will take jump seaters, as well as USAir some of the time. That's with a seat in back, since we aren't CASS certified and never will be. Virgin doesn't go to my home city and USAir will be full to the CLT and PHX hubs on weekend days from LAX, or PHX from ANC. Didn't know Virgin would sit us in J class.

I don't worry too much about starting in LAX. Its my base, and if they build a trip from there so be it. The commute is on me and I buy a ticket, as you say it usually doesn't change. I went back there to go to the passenger fleet and bypassed on the 777 to reduce my commute. It was my choice. But I almost always start out of MIA because there just aren't that many guys on the preferred port and the airplane goes there most days. Likewise, if I operate to LAX and finish there its my base. That doesn't happen often anymore either, although they will do that to keep me under guarantee. Commute is on me, no complaints. Where I have the problem is being PT'd to LAX from ANC at the end of a trip where I used to PX to MIA, because LAX is cheaper. Especially when I bring 074 into ANC and have to watch it leave for MIA without me. That's a sh** sandwich and the only thing that's cropped up as a result of this pissing contest. That's my only issue (besides Y class), because they can't operate me twice back to MIA in a month without me going into OT, so I'm gonna get one of these a month. There'll always be one PT or PX sector on the backside.

Way too much of a difference in fares between ANC-LAX and ANC-MIA so I'll never see PT MIA. But I will call and request it just to hear it first hand.

"A" days. Am I responsible for LAX or MIA? The answer is yes. LOL. Again, I don't sweat these too much. I've had two MDs related to LAX "A" day call outs in eight years. One I screwed up and didn't realize it was an "A" and on one I misconnected due to a delayed flight on a full fare paid ticket bought when I got called out. There are two times I check Crew Direct....during the required time on the day before an "A", and when notified of a roster change arriving in HKG. That's it. Roster changes have diminished the less I've logged in.

I have played this game a long time.....starting at the regionals many years ago. The best deal is always the shortest route home with the least connections, and for me that's unfortunately the freighter to MIA and American across to home. I do appreciate your concern and suggestions, and the primary motivating factor in me not signing that letter is that its irrevocable.