PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PD still allowed?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2012, 01:44
Iron Skillet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you change the ANC-LAX PT to an ANC-MIA PD, and willing to pay any extra, is it always more cost to you or have you just had bad luck with busy days in summer so far? For Aug 1 I see 1-stop fares of 400-550, which can't be much more than the ID50 ANC-LAX, right?

If the above really doesn't work, I think your best bet is to take your allowances and rest in ANC, then the PT to LAX and then ZED home from there at all hours: I looked up Aug 1 and show 14 flights per day to MIA/FLL. Apparently Virgin will take you in the J/S at no cost and sit you in the J, if there is space, or Y.

As for starting a pattern in LAX, I understand the problem with roster changes, but it's usually pretty stable at the start, except for A days. But even then, you just go ZED and try to make it and usually will. If you show up late, or don't show up at all, so what? Either book off sick from the stress diarrhea you just got, or get a missed duty once ever 5 years. (There are a few brave guys with 3-5 MD's per year and nothing happens when it's A-day related. Not your fault the flights were full, right?).

Even then, planning just 10 days ahead of time, Spirit will do FLL-LAX for 200$ to get you to work, AA MIA-LAX for 250$, confirmed (and no jeopardy if you miss a work trip when you have a confirmed ticket to get to work). Or you can risk getting bumped by ZED and easily cover your butt if you don't make it for whatever reason (that's what everyone else is doing...). As for getting home, going LAX-MIA/FLL with cheap ZED when not dying of fatigue (after a sleep in ANC) will work almost all the time - be sure the operating crew knows you're there trying to get home.

I've heard others getting PT'd to their PP, so maybe you just weren't lucky recently due to loads/ticket prices?

One thing for sure, joining the PX crowd for eternity, before a deal is in place, is not the way to go. You won't get a good deal if you cave into this pressure, and you will pay for it forever. It sucks that you're suffering financially right now, but I hope the above can reduce this as much as possible in the interim.

Anyone have any other ideas for this guy?