PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R112: Are you going?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2012, 19:23
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based at Redhill, today was my first flight out of R112 to a private site near Dover AM and return PM. Helicopter G-**MY if anyone from Atlas is reading.

FP filed 2hr 7min prior to departure, accepted and text received in 30 minutes without any issues.

OUTBOUND
Tried to activate the FP with EGKR tower 20 minutes prior to the stated departure time, to leave closer to our desired departure time; this was accepted without a problem.

Leaving EGKR east, we were passed on to to Atlas for Basic service. The FP plan called for North of Lash - offered South if it would help, and accepted gratefully.

Nothing more until reaching the boundary, wished a safe flight and signed-off. No drama, no issues.

RETURN
Lifted from private site on time, called up N of Ashford with authorisation code; it was accepted and we were passed on to Atlas controller for basic service. Cloud was lowering as we progressed, and we never reached the maximum altitude that we had agreed (not above 1500 ft). We routed N of Lash then following the railway towards EGKR.

Approaching Tonbridge we were aware (through radio calls) of another helicopter leaving EGKR on a reciprical course approaching Tonbridge. Altitudes were going to be similar due to lowering cloud base so we made a position call. Controller asked why we were telling him our position, and we responded it was really to aid the other H. Controller confirmed 8 mile separation, reciprical course and within 100ft vertically then left the 2 machines to coordinate. The other H called overhead Tonbridge. We called North of railway line and they called "South". Shortly after both were visual. 1.5 mile separation, same height; no fuss and no worries.

We were passed on to EGKR for approach.

VERDICT
Given the need to control airspace in this way the disruption to our day was negligible. If we could have earlier clearance I would have preferred to leave an hour earlier, but I understand why this is not possible.

The service was "spot on", sensible, and I can't fault it. Particular appreciation for the controller letting the two machines coordinate on the return leg. Cloudbase was low and heights were going to be the same hence at <8 miles with a closing speed to 220 knt it was good to know where the other machine was going to be and that he knew where we would be.

Great job, thank you

Last edited by John R81; 18th Jul 2012 at 19:28.