PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do It?
Thread: Why Do It?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2012, 13:06
why panic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the posts so far, which I've read with great interest. For some reason the moderator has deleted 3 of them … they didn’t seem that controversial.

I was wondering if I was lucky enough to be back at 20 years old, would I take this huge gamble in the present employment market.
After due consideration I would say that I probably wouldn't. I think the best bet would be to do your PPL, buy a share in something fun, maybe aerobatic, and enjoy your flying that way. You are then in a good place to go fATPL if the job market improves. Unless you can get your training bundled with a job offer, your chances as a 200 hrs fATPL are about zero. With an A320 type rating and no time on type, it’s about the same – Sadly.

Somebody made a key point (which has been deleted??) that the “blind optimists”, jumping in at any price, have encouraged these various pay to fly schemes.
Everybody hates these schemes, and they will disappear like dust in the wind the moment people stop using them. Or to put it another way, every pilot that uses one of these schemes makes it harder for the guy behind him, and perpetuates this abomination.

If you do decide to take the leap of faith, Good Luck, and I hope your dream doesn't turn to bitterness.