PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough Airshow - What Gives?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 06:54
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
I entered the queue for "security". Didn't understand a word spoken by the marshalls, however within 5 minutes we went through the barrier. Something "beeped", and I was asked to step aside for a body search. Meanwhile my wallet and phone were still sitting at the scanner, so I insisted on retrieving them before the search. Nothing untoward resulted, but my bag (full with cameras, car keys, food etc.) was not inspected at all. Something of a farce, in my opinion...
Much as I detest the daft notion of these checks at an exhibition such as the Farnborough Airshow, at least my experience was rather more positive. I'd bought my trade badge on-line, so was waved straight to security. A polite, well-dressed young Asian lad asked me to empty my pockets into a couple of plastic bags whilst my bag with laptop, power supply and VGA cable went through the scanner. Then I retrieved my belongings and the young chap thanked me for my understanding and wished me an enjoyable show.

The metal buttons on the jacket I was wearing didn't upset the scanning arch, so I guess it was set to a more sensible level than the paranoid airport level...

A rather more pleasant security chap than the usual neanderthal bottom-fondling failed wheelclampers one encounters at airports these days