PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough Airshow - What Gives?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 00:57
folkyphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was fortunate to be given a Complimentary ticket for Saturday or Sunday. Unfortunately, for me it had to be Saturday...the wet day.
Free shuttle bus from/to Aldershot was very efficient.
I entered the queue for "security". Didn't understand a word spoken by the marshalls, however within 5 minutes we went through the barrier. Something "beeped", and I was asked to step aside for a body search. Meanwhile my wallet and phone were still sitting at the scanner, so I insisted on retrieving them before the search. Nothing untoward resulted, but my bag (full with cameras, car keys, food etc.) was not inspected at all. Something of a farce, in my opinion...
Once into the show...and the torrential rain...I was delighted that I had taken my own provisions for the day. The prices charged for food/drink were extortionate.
The flying programme was as good as could be expected, given the poor weather conditions. In the static area, the U.S.Mil should be complimented for their enthusiastic presentation of their aircraft. Sadly, I didn't see many other organisations talking with the public.

Would it have been worth paying £41 for a ticket? Definitely NO.

Sunday's weather was much better, so I made the afternoon pilgrimage to Caesar's Camp (high ground to the south of Farnboro') from which I have watched nearly all the shows since 1955.
Probably 1000 people watching from this vantage point. Many Nepalese families (the Ghurkas used to be based a few miles away, so this was "their" stomping ground) sitting and watching patiently. Sadly this could not be said for some of the Brits, with their bored and out-of-control kids and dogs.
As soon as the Red Arrows had finished their display, most of the latter cleared-off home, with more than an hour's flying still to be enjoyed, not least the Vulcan.

Credit to the single "Red" which overflew the ridge and gave us a quick "wing waggle" after one of the formation breaks.

Overall, a far cry from the "halcyon days" of Farnborough, but an institution nevertheless.