PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do It?
Thread: Why Do It?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2012, 13:36
Gyro Drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you know that it's the only career you want then a lot of people will go for it regardless of risk.
I'm one of the many who embarked on flight training and indeed spent a vast amount of money. I secured a jet job within 8 weeks of finishing the training so was one of the lucky ones. But absolutely, you cannot know what life is like as a pilot until you have done it for a while.

The job itself is absolutely fantastic. Manually flying a 60+ ton jet down the ILS and then walking away from the aircraft realising what a machine you have just flown. Can't beat it. No doubt there will be people on here in no time commenting on how the job isn't as fantastic as I'm making out, but that's just me, personally, I love going to work.

However, the company that you fly for can often bring a downer on the job itself. Less and less flying hours each month, management that hang up the phone on you before you have chance to say bye, and continually declining terms and conditions. But why do people still come into this industry? Because it's all they've every wanted to do. Myself included.

It's a downward spiral though. With each wave of new guys that join, the contracts get worse. Something needs to be done but that's another thread altogether!

Last edited by Gyro Drift; 15th Jul 2012 at 13:39.