PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 15th Jul 2012, 10:43
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the other hand, it is extremely hard to discern the quality of training received from many smaller, modular training providers with a large number of flying instructors passing through, resulting in potential for non-standardised and erratic training - not to mention thinking carefully about how to structure hour building to gain and build on the experience.
In my experence its actually the opersite, the smaller mod schools actually proved the better quality pilots. Exeter for example produce extremely good capable pilots and would be on the top of any CV pile that I looked at. Mind you if you look at the list of instructors that work there its not suprising.

But being a good pilot is not what some companys are looking for. They want a known quanity which fits thier training programs. Handling and PIC skills arn't required because they will be sitting next to someone for years who has the PIC skills. And they are trained to work in an automated managed cockpit. They are the ones that like the mentored schemes through the schools.

Do a simple spreadsheet and accumulate the cost of that debt - many would be shocked at what they are getting themselves into. On the basis of that, it might be argued that someone who has cleverly structured their own modular course and carefully built themselves up to the requisite hours to be hired, alongside another career, over the course of a few years, would be the personality who is not only a better judge of risk but more sensible and a better employee.
I payed 35k for my training and had a year as an instructor. This isn't uncommon in the other Captains I work with we all got LHS in 2-3 years and have been working on a Captains wage for the last 7 without paying off any loans in fact most of us have cleared our morgages as well.

A couple of mates in flybe are in a regional base that they want with 4.5k disposable a month. It might not be a fancy jet, it might go tech alot, they might have to put up with flying with MPL's. But they are home most nights and don't have to commute.

Last edited by mad_jock; 15th Jul 2012 at 10:58.