PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 14th Jul 2012, 11:15
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not going to get into the pro/anti Robbie argument, plenty of threads on that, but i'd suggest you think about what your going to do once you get the license. If you want to carry any passengers any distance, but don't want to fly the robbos you'll have to go for the Enstrom/Jetranger, which is great if you can afford to, and find someone who will rent you one (unless your buying), otherwise you might find yourself going for the 44 when you get bored of trundling around at 80kts, the Schwietzers and 22's are slow, and the Cabri vibrates all over the place above 85kts (don't be fooled by the unsustainable 130 VNE). If your likely going to end up flying a 44 like most private pilots you may as well get the additional 60hrs experience on that type before taking out loved ones. I'm sure you'll end up loving whatever you learn in. Best of luck.

Also looking forward to flying the Cabri, when there are enough of them about to actually hire them etc I'm sure they'll be quite popular, but for now most people will spend the same money on an r44 for actually getting places so I don't see there being a huge number available to learn on or hire any time soon (Currenty 1 in the uk) which is a deterrent. A safe ship though, their crashworthiness record is pretty good

Last edited by Aucky; 14th Jul 2012 at 11:29.