PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Consistently smooth landings C210
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2012, 09:46
Nirak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I did my C210 convex I was taught to go 'click-click' backwards trim on the electrical trimmer on short final / just before closing the throttle so that I have to keep a slight positive pressure on the yoke to maintain the descent path. It avoids having to compensate for the 'nose drop' when you close the throttle. Closing the power removes the nose up pitch and the aircraft is now trimmed for the S&L portion of the flare.

All you need to do then is to look at the end of the RWY and hold it off and wait for the main wheels to touchdown first (slight backward pressure on the yoke)

It works well for the female pilots that is not always physically that strong. I have recommended it even to some open minded male pilots as well with great success.

Word of caution though: Click the trimmer only once you are asured of landing as you will have a very strong nose-up pitch in the go-around requiring lots of fwd push on the yoke. Be aware that a loss of attention (e.g. reading the checklist, radio work, etc, your natural reaction is to relax the fwd pressure an it may lead to stalling the aircraft! So, do the 'click-click on the auto-trimmer as late as possible before reducing the power for the flare.

Some heavy jets also have a load relief auto trimer that is active until 500ft AGL (radio alt) and you will be unable to fly with fwd pressure on the stick.

Flew all my landings like that, even on heavy jets, and almost always ended with a smooth landing.