PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - carlisle/southend
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 23:07
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "I wonder what the ratio is of people who would choose LHR over SEN and vice versa? (talking domestic flight)."

Depends on where you live. For me its LHR everytime.

Quote: "It seems to me that if the Council and a small number of nimbys can be persuaded then there might be something beneficial to all concerned waiting to happen."

Maybe, let's hope so!

Quote: "We do have some relevant historic evidence - STN-NCL U2 gone, LHR-MME BE gone. Did BE have a pop at LGW-MME couple of years back, or was that just LBA? Either way, short lived.

LHR-MME was one of the routes dropped by BD in 2009 along with INV, JER, and LBA. Probably has more to do with office politics, with LH calling the shots.

Quote: "If the proposal was for LCY, that would at least be much closer to the city / East End / Dockland, but given the costs involved, where would the yields come from?"

And if the proposal was for LHR, there would be connectivity to the world. Give it a chance, one has to start somewhere!

Quote: "FDF - I agree choice is good, but the WCML isn't going anywhere. There is one scenario which could help the route - as VT bosses know that every few minutes they can shave off the EUS-GC train time, they will relish any opportunity to remove stops. Afaik, the fastest current train just stops at Carlisle. With HS2, most stops above Preston would almost certainly go, but that isn't happening until 2026,7,8..............."

There is one weekday train/day that does London to Glasgow with just one stop, and takes 4 hours 8 minutes. The stop is Preston. Curiously, there is no equivelant in the opposite direction.

Forget about HS2, it's unlikely to be built, and even if it is, it's going nowhere near Carlisle or Glasgow.