PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take your shoes off - Aviation security
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2003, 07:11
russellackland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Security Procedures

I was a security instructor for the TSA for 7 months! (Airport security @ the checkpoint and baggage checking too.) These TSA folks have "great" power and the ability to abuse it. The supervisors are the ones who are the ones to blame when problems happen (and unfortuneatly they are the ones the normal person asks for!). Although an inexperienced group, they have great training(biased opinion.) The general concept of the walk-through metal detector is "mass" screening of persons, while allowing maximum"flow." No matter the 'sensitivity level', if an alarm occurs, you will go to further screening, ie. hand wand metal detector. All items will go through the xray machine whenever the set off an "alarm." The best way to get through security is to divest or remove all metallic items and present them for Xray. The xray operator will be able to determine the identity of all items passed through the xray machine.

In some airports, the metal "shanks" in dress shoes will set off the metal detector and will require "further" screening of persons. Therefore, in some airports, screeners have been asking passengers (and pilots) to remove their shoes before passing through the walk through metal detector.

As a previous instructor I absolutley REFUSE to remove my shoes before the walk through metal detector; No Dirty Socks for me. I usually walk through with no problems with my non-metallic shoes and waste less of their/and my time. When challenged about removing my shoes I respond..." I will be happy to go through further handwand metallic screening if I set off the walk-through metal detector with my shoes on!" Those are the rules and are generally respected! Of course, to the detriment of the USA's TSA, there are still individual airport procedures out there. If I am inspected after the walk-through metal detector, ,my shoes will almost always go through the xray machine (as they are required to, with an alarm, when the xray is available.) If I am aware that my shoes have metal "shanks" in them; well i could take them off before the metal detector if I am in a hurry and have them xrayed along with my other carry-on items. If not in a hurry.................hand wanding...removing belt...shoes...coat...and being subject to physical body searches is my alternate choice. Anything for effective yet efficient search procedures.

good flying (after security)

russ