PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 11th Jul 2012, 16:05
danast84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't matter if it worked for Jetlad or not, this is a general discussion.
I believe that quality in training is very important not only for the obvious safety reasons but for your career, especially during your first steps. When I was looking at different schools (in Greece, where I live) to do my training most schools pushed for the modular route and I was convinced that this was the right move. However, when I started talking with graduates and current students 8 out 10 told me that integrated was the right choice, provided you have the money to complete the training. When I started my ATPL Integrated course with a school in Greece (the only one which advised me to do the integrated btw) I understood why most graduates advised me to do that. The integrated is a complete course and the school has much more responsibility towards the student. The quality of graduates from integrated courses (at least in Greece) is much better than that of graduates of modular courses and that is reflected in airline hiring. Integrated graduates accounted for around 75% of newly hired first officers (fresh out of the school) of Olympic Air in Greece, during 2011 and 2012.

I believe it is not just the flight skills that matter. Determination, standardisation, discipline are just as important and you definitely have a better chance in improving in those areas if you follow a well-structured programme. I am not suggesting that all integrated graduates are perfect and all modular ones are crap, I am just saying that the programme you choose is just another tool (like the choice of a particular school, training material, instructors etc) that can help you become a better pilot and professional or not. At the end of the day it is up to you.