PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corporate or Airline?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2012, 09:32
Globally Challenged

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I'm happier and feel more secure in my bizjet job than I would working for all but the largest of legacy carriers. Having been made redundant once before, I now work for a single owner who flies 400+ hours a year and 'should' the euro go pop, he personally stands to make a significant amount of money - not so with an airline.

When we fly somewhere nice, we then hole up in a 4+ star hotel (of our own choosing - no more airport hotels for me!!) for the 2 weeks or so that he stays there (typically east and west coast USA). No minimum rest, nowhere near max duty - although unfortunately no roster either.

That said, between the 3 pilots, we work out pretty well and I was at home for 14 of the first 16 weeks of my first baby's life.

I get paid the same regardless of whether I fly (I only miss out on per-diems). So I work a fraction of what the LoCo guys do and get paid a fair bit more. No hostie though - so we do have to clean the aircraft ourself - sod it ... where is that Ryanair application form ...

Horses for courses and all that

Last edited by Globally Challenged; 11th Jul 2012 at 09:36.