PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reporting culture in emirates
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2012, 11:28
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monarch Man, showing them that you dislike their actions and "alienating, making them feel unwelcome and unworthy' are very different things. The first is acting like an adult and bringing up your issue in an adult manner. The second is acting like children and in the process dividing the work team as some of you accuse management of doing!

By all means discuss the proper channels of reporting with new crew but if you were to do any of the above, you would want to be VERY sure that your information is correct.

I would actually be very careful about jumping on this particular case as I am sure we do not know the full story.

I agree, the reporter was wrong not to speak up at the time, and just accepting the break, but do we know the reasons why they did not? We know that there are many cultures and nationalities working in the specified company and unfortunately not all have the same skills in being assertive or the same authority gradient as others. Most Westerners are very comfortable in questioning their superiors, however other cultures (as a general example, Japanese or Korean) are not since elders and 'superiors' very much have the final say.

I'm not saying this applies in this case but it is worth thinking about. Tell me that as a new crew you never felt apprehensive about questioning your seniors, and I'll say you're probably not telling the truth. Even now I do feel some degree of nervousness and have to ensure that I'm doing it for the right reason (safety, SOP not beign followed) rather than for any other reason...