PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's On: Iran Closes Straits Of Hormuz, Oil Explodes
Old 9th Jul 2012, 08:26
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a funny thing, but...

There's a school of thought that goes, 'All Germans should bear some guilt forever for whatever went on during the Hitler period!' That's kind of interesting, but stupid. (It's okay for me to say that, because my kids are only half-German. That means they are only half as guilty as their friends. On the other hand, half-German, half-American... should one part be in a permanent state of conflict with the other half?)

So it's okay to strafe some kid herding goats because some other kids were shot up by a Stuka? I am sorry, but I just can not follow that line of thought.

Not that we should allow the Iranian Revolutionary Guard to shut off our sacred supply of motion lotion or anything like that; we must have some God-given right to that crude, but... oh, I don't know! The more you think about this business of war and guilt and all, the less sense it seems to make.

Here, I guess we should just stick to the way of fighting, not whether that is really right or moral or how many goats and children must die once it sparks off, as it very well may. No bickering here about morality, if you please! That would be like fighting in the War Room.

It's really an interesting question: How do you defeat a low-tech 'swarm attack' by a flotilla of speedboats? Those things can hit 60 knots and they are highly manouevrable. I suppose that some sort of Kamikaze-style mission, each boat crammed with Semtex and would-be martyrs, would be a tough one to beat. It's sort of the nautical version of the arguments you read here about one F-35 against ten MiG-29s.

About the only way I can see to really deal with such a threat would be by a pre-emptive strike, using air power to take out the speedboats before they can launch. Of course, that would then give the Iranians the green light for mine warfare or whatever else they have planned.