PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Qatar Airways Order the C-Series @ Farnborough? Bombardier Needs The Order!
Old 7th Jul 2012, 18:28
Airmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2c for what it's worth:

Al Baker has already publicly stated that he will not order any more aircraft at farnborough:

No Qatar Airways Orders at Farnborough - Airline News - Civil Aircraft - Aviation Forums - Flightglobal Airspace

So doesn't look likely at this time.

I agree with what everyone else on the thread has said, Bombardier don't need the C-series to sell like the 320 in order to be profitable. Actually I think they're in much better shape than Boeing is with the 787. They have to sell a ludicrous number before they break even.

Secondly, I think that airlines are waiting for the real performance numbers to come out before purchasing this aircraft. The A320 NEO and Boeing 737 MAX have sold well because they are the only aircraft of their size and everyone flies them and needs replacements for their current fleet of narrow bodies, and I think everyone wants to get in the queue as early as possible.

As for a regional jet, I don't think the market calls for people to order them years in advance, just look at the order book for the CRJ or E jets.

Personally, I believe that this airplane is going to meet or beat everyone's expectations, and when it does it will be in demand. Bombardier looks to have their act together on this aircraft and hopefully it will be flying and delivered on time. The 5 abreast concept is also great, and it fills a market that is definitely there. But like I and others have said, it's just that the market is such that people arent queuing up to get their names on the list for one, they can afford to sit and wait since no one has really made a move, and at this stage, once ordered the aircraft can be delivered fairly quickly.

As for QR getting more landing rights for buying the C series, I'm not too sure about that. Does the Canadian govt hurt air Canada in order to benefit Bombardier? That's another debate I don't want to get into because it will never end. And what's to say that the Canadian govt would even offer that deal, it just doesn't deem to be their style. but If they did we'll likely see EK ordering around 500 of the type. They'de probably start it on the new direct Dubai-Hay River run!

Last edited by Airmann; 7th Jul 2012 at 18:32.