PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to fly IFR during the Olympics?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 20:09
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always "knew" that was possible, simply because nobody but the man in the tower is going to know what actually happened, but you do need the co-operation from the man in the tower

One could achieve the same by filing to an unmanned airport, or an airport which is closed at the relevant time, and either pre-filing the onward flight plan for an accurately estimated EOBT or getting somebody on the ground to file it at just the right time (perhaps on receipt of an SMS from you when you are about to be in the right place). You would probably have to descend to a fairly low level so that the next unit can see you climbing when you call them up.

Of course with a basically functional satellite phone data link you could just file any flight plan for yourself while you are airborne, and in principle there is nothing particularly dodgy about doing that because e.g. on a departure from a Class G airport you may not get talking to an IFR controller for say half an hour anyway, so you could do a nice tour of the countryside while they are sorting out the IFR clearance....

If I can think of these methods in the time it took me to type this..........