PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on buying a aircraft
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 13:49
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,
interesting thread, this!
Thought I´d give you guys my perspective, albeit from an entirely different country / situation!
I am member of a club, of which the mechanic is very knowleagable and helpful when it comes to repairs & advice with regards to spare parts etc. He must know all the US spare-part sites on the internet because he always finds the weirdest links to check valves, brake cilinders, adjustable prop parts, noise filters etc etc, you name it; and for decent prizes!
Being club members we do help each other sometimes when it comes to bringing stuff in from the U.S for instance; or even borrowing parts from each other when the one plane isn´t going anywhere, anyways! For instance, recently I lent my radiator to a fellow member, just for a 2 day trip.
We are all Rotax-powered, you see.........
I agree that it would be lonely to do it all “on my Todd” so to speak; I for one, greatly appreciate all the advice I can get!

Originally Posted by Silvaire1
Assuming no regulatory road blocks it is wonderful for everybody to have their very own aircraft and to work together to keep all of them flying and beautiful.

Good fences make good neighbors.
I agree with this wholeheartedly! At our club, we all have and run our own planes; why? Because it´s still SO affordable where we are!
I guess some people share larger Cessna´s etc here, but as far as the LSA go; they are all privately owned.
For US$ 2,- a US gallon of fuel you can still go places, and you can actually pick up an airframe and maintain it up to the authorities´ standards for not that much at all; relatively speaking.
And then the hundreds of little airfields we can choose from, but that is for another thread.
If your budget is an issue, (and I know mine would be, in the UK!!) by all means share!
Share the burden, share the headaches............and plan your trips well, considering* your fellow comrades` needs!
I personally love the fact that I own an aircraft! She´s my baby, the mechanic finished it all in my taste, I´m still taking plenty of pictures each trip, and I´m not done kitting her out completely just yet! (Slipper clutch is next on the list, for instance).
Are their better aircraft out there? Sure! But this one happens to be mine, it fulfills all my flying-needs and that gives me a satisfaction that I don´t think I would get renting or sharing.
If you can afford it........having your own plane is really a pretty cool thing!
Cheers from down South somewhere,
###Ultra Long Hauler###