PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I cope with ATPL and University at the same time?
Old 30th Jun 2012, 22:23
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
My dad has no degree - I have two, in engineering. Dad can often beat me on technical engineering problems. But, as you say, we're from different eras.

Aviation is another thing however. The qualifications that people value are much more specific. There are specific areas where a degree is useful - my two degrees in aerospace engineering are essential to my aviation research roles.

The good MSc programmes in air transport management are well respected and routes into some worthwhile management roles. However, those jobs generally go to people who have other professional qualifications as well, and you don't do an MSc without either a BSc/BA/BEng or a lot of professional experience. There are some aeronautical related degrees that would be more understandable if your real objective is an aeronautical role.

Something aviation specific would be better for showing commitment to the community and industry - a physics degree and an interest in going into something like aeronautical science / system dynamics / aerodynamics research, would be reasonably impressive. A (maintenance) engineering licence is another possibility.

But sport science? Sorry, whilst I agree that it's an interesting and worthwhile degree, but it's not aeronautical, and nor is it a useful backup option because it is in no way a licence to practice something that'll make money. A sports coaching qualification (expressed at any interviews as a "stop-gap") would be understandable, but a full degree makes limited sense.

G