PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going around > 2.5% climb gradient and 2.1% App/Clb perf 2-eng a/c
Old 29th Dec 2002, 21:47
john_tullamarine

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts
This is one of two ops eng problems which have been with us for a long time ..

(a) what to do if the failure occurs on takeoff sometime after V1 ?

I am informed from reliable sources that some operators (and I include at least one large operator) schedule the failure procedure for a V1 failure and ignore the post-V1 failure scenario ... problem belongs to the pilot ...

Not a problem if you are intending to follow the OEI procedure .. but might present one if the SID takes you in a different direction over tiger country.

Hopefully the majority of operators address failures at any position up to a sensible obstacle clearance level and provide escape sequences to suit.

There have been a few threads on this topic alone ..

(b) what to do with a failure during the approach/missed approach ?

Same deal. I suspect that many bury their heads in the sand and ignore the problem.

Others address it specifically and schedule escape procedures and/or higher minima to avoid the problem.

Certainly, for each,

(a) the most inappropriate time to think about what you ought to do is after the failure occurs .... bit late then

(b) the pilot generally doesn't have enough data to make a rational engineering assessment of the problem (obviously there is not much of a problem if there is no terrain to consider)

(c) ought not a corporately responsible operator consider these matters ahead of time and provide appropriate and necessary guidance for the benefit of crews ?