PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to hour build cheaply and constructively towards JAR Modular Route?
Old 29th Dec 2002, 17:55
Dusty_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown 70 hours in the last year, bringing my P1 total to exactly 100hrs yesterday. So that's my hours building finished... and it was such great fun!

A rough estimate of the cost for the year has is about £4000, or approximately £58ph, all in (excluding landing fees and bacon sandwiches at away airfields).

I've been working full time, and have only left the country with me at the controls.

Bargain hours building? Where?
In the UK. At my local airfield. In 'my' aeroplane.

If you are working full time and would rather not take your years holiday allowance to find some cheep flying on the other side of a long haul flight and accomadation costs - and blow your years flying budget in a couple of weeks - then consider buying into a group owned aircraft.
The Private Flying forum is a good place to ask about this.
Look at the classifieds in Pilot, Popular Flying and the like you'll find some very attractive rates.
Although you'll need to find the capital to buy into the group (anything between £1000 and £8000 will be needed, depending on what it is you are after), the beauty of aircraft is that although they steal your money they do not depreciate. So, once you've clocked up you required number of hours, you can sell up and use the money you get back to pay for the CPL flying training.

My £4k has included all the surprise maintainence, the monthly fees (hangarage and insurance), and the hourly rate for flying.