PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-ARPI - The Trident Tragedy: 40 years ago today
Old 29th Jun 2012, 01:03
broadreach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Gruntie, agree, don't think there were all that many people just ogling and subsequently labelled ghouls by Harold Wilson. And I don't think the label ever really fit; I'm sure many of the people who left their cars on the verge were there to try to help. Many would not have known what in fact had happened other than that there had been an accident. My friends and I had heard at the car rental desk that there had been an accident but, of course, there were no details at the time. We saw many ambulances racing past us to what we eventually realised was the scene. At Staines itself all we could see was an embankment and we just sat in the car and nudged forward as we could, wondering as to what might have happened.

One of my friends was an ex USAF navigator, the other a friend who'd lived some time in South America, as I had. All of us fairly thick-skinned, through over- familiarity, with regard to crashes. Only when we reached our respective destinations did the penny sink in that this one was really bad.

And Noyade, always useful to cite the source :-)

Last edited by broadreach; 29th Jun 2012 at 01:03.